Wednesday, June 20, 2007

Been Snubbed?

Ever been snubbed by another author or other publishing professional? Well, you certainly are not alone. I will include places and people here that have bad reps for being writing bullies, either through my own personal experience and research or from others who send it in.

I started this blog because I want to do what no other person in this industry would do....I want to expose those who think they are on a higher level than the rest of us. I want to catch them red-handed in their rude and ludicrous statements and I want to share it all right here.

So, welcome to Meanies and Weenies, Ms. Dunn Hadenuff's way of flipping all the bullies the bird.

And......just a footnote....I will not be spellchecking this blog, so please don't contact me with crude emails stating that I don't know how to spell. I already know that I don't know how to spell, I don't need you to point it out for me, thank you.

Sincerely Yours,
Ms. Hadenuff

3 comments:

Ellie Heller said...

I think the blog is a great idea! There definitely are meanies and weenies out there. And knowing before you leap is a good thing.

But...don't you worry about being a bit one sided or abused by people "getting even"? You've already had someone misrepresent a group, although, perhaps, not their meanness.

So, then, a word of caution? This is a GREAT idea, but put some safeguards in so you don't get in the middle of someone's argument. Many, many blogs have been doomed by those.

Good luck! I look forward to 'hearing' more tales of woe. I hope you succeed where others have failed.

Katherine Allred said...

Dear Ms Hadenuf,

I have to agree with Steve. You've got a good idea for a blog, but you also have a responsibility to research each email complaint before you post it. Contact the entity being slammed and make sure you have both sides of the story and that it's not just a case of sour grapes. As the owner of the blog, you are, after all libel for any action taken by persons/groups/entities that may feel you've harmed them financially. Cover your butt. Stay impartial and give us both sides of a story. We're smart enough to decide for ourselves how we feel about it.

Victoria Strauss said...

As someone who exposes meanies on a regular basis (I'm one of the founders of Writer Beware), I thought it might be helpful to point to Writer Beware's policy on accepting complaints.

Bottom line: you need to research the complaints you receive, document them, and--a bit more difficult but just as important--learn to recognize the difference between real grievances and sour grapes. Otherwise you run the risk of turning your blog into a rumor mill, and (possibly) needlessly impugning reputations. Not to mention, getting sued.