Wednesday, June 20, 2007

Weenie Story

From Anonymous........

"I was contacted by the owner of a publishing company. She had requested a banner for one of her authors. I am a graphic designer, so I immediately jumped at the chance. After five attempts to create the banner to her ever-growing list of wants, she agreed to my sixth rendition and proceeded to ask what email addy to send the paypal payment to. I told her and thanked her for her business and eagerly waited for the money to arrive. After two months and numerous polite emails that have gone unanswered, it's quite obvious she never plans to pay me. Now, one of her authors is probably proudly displaying all six of the banners I labored over and there isn't a thing I can do about it."


Here is the url that was included with this email........

http://www.oceansmistpress.com

Moral of the story..........Know your boundaries. Yes, it is very important to get things right for your customer/publisher/agent, whatever, but not at the expense of driving yourself mad. Next time, be wary of publishers or anyone in a business like setting that emails you asking for work without first offering payment. After all, if they're willing to contact you, then they should already have a good idea of how good your work is......otherwise why would they email you in the first place? Almost any reputable publishing house or agency will know right off the bat that asking for work without offering payment can be very insulting to some artists.

No comments: